Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Miracle of Lost Things

I lose things. Sometimes big, important things. Things that should be attached to my body. Once when I was out of the country, headed to a train station, I lost my passport. I prayed a promise that if I could find my passport, I’d be more careful and never lose another thing. I found my passport within minutes.

I still lose things.

Once when my husband had a business trip, complete with a ritzy hotel, I lost my shoes. We had stopped at a park… and my shoes had stayed parked at the edge of the sand. (They were really nice shoes, because I was going to a very nice hotel. I wanted to play in the sand but didn’t want the sand ruin my shoes, so I took them off. Hopefully a nice homeless person with size 7.5 shoes found them.)

Wallets full of money. Cars in mall parking lots. Glasses. Purses. I’ve lost living creatures, friends.

And that’s why today was such a miracle. Once I owned a small device with three components that I haven’t needed or used in 15 years. It would cost almost $500. to replace. Oddly, I remembered where I’d last put it, in the far left corner of my kitchen cupboard, but I didn’t know if it would still be there… I highly doubted it, especially since the kitchen had since been remodeled. New cupboards installed, the old cupboards trashed.

But there it was in the far left corner of the cupboard, all three parts attached. For me, this was as miraculous as the parting of the Red Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment