Friday, July 27, 2012

Catfish Marketing, Day 27, Making a Trailer


Remember book trailers? I still don’t have any, but I want some…three to be exact, because soon I’ll have three books out. I’ve watched a number of book trailers and this is what I’ve decided.

1.       A trailer should be no more than 90 seconds.

2.       Most trailers had about ten stills, or photos.

3.       I prefer the stills to the videos with live actors.

4.       I prefer the text to the trailers with voice-overs.

These are, as I said, my preferences, but unless you are a professional actor, I’d shy away dressing up and kissing up to the camera.

Here are some step-by-step trailer instructions.

1.       Write a script.

2.       Take some corresponding pictures or find some that are in the public domain (you don’t want to be sued.)

3.       Investigate sites like Slide Roll, Jump Cut, or Windows Movies and pick your favorite.

4.       Arrange your photos, keeping in mind that a still should be on the screen for about 4-6 seconds.

5.       Add the text.

6.       Find great music, but be sure you have permission to use it. Many artists are happy to have the exposure as long as you give them credit at the end of the trailer.

Stay tuned. Tomorrow I’m writing my scripts.

1 comment:

  1. These are all great tips for making a book trailer. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete