Monday, March 25, 2013

More on my Decision to Self Publish



Here two ancient blog posts explaining why I chose to go indie. My decision was unique to me and my crazy, big life and also, frankly, suited to my hermit personality type. I’m happy with my decision.

My writing goal is to be an influence for good and to provide entertainment that supports my values. My debut novel has had more than 60k downloads and has been on Amazon’s top 100 list of historical romances for five months. I don’t think I could have had that sort of reach with a small publisher.

I started writing on a daily basis more than 15 years ago. For many years I taught piano lessons and saved the money I earned to spend on writing workshops, conferences and classes. Besides studying English lit. at BYU a hundred years ago, I’ve also taken  writing classes at UC Irvine, Orange Coast college, Saddleback college and online classes through RWA and Writer’s Digest. I had $4,000 of piano money when I first self published Stealing Mercy. Each book costs about $500 to publish and I have published 5 full length novels and have a 6th with an editor. Except for blog hops, I haven’t spent any money on advertising or promotion. I no longer attend conferences because I would rather spend my money on producing books than attending conferences.

 I won’t list the conferences I’ve attended. Or the awards I’ve won. Or the near misses with publishers and agents. I mention this to show that I didn’t wake up one day and decide to write a book. I started writing stories when I was eight years old. I don’t intend to stop. I’m a marathon writer, more Agatha Christie than Harper Lee.

I’m incredibly grateful to live in our insane digital age that has allowed me to balance my passions. And I’m really lucky that my husband and children support me financially, emotionally and spiritually. And I’m also lucky that I belong to an amazing critique/writing group.

In short, I’m just really, really, really lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment