Monday, July 6, 2015

Sarah Dessen's The Truth About Forever, a review

I'll admit that I first read this years ago when my daughter had a stack of Sarah's books in her room. I read it again this weekend. Loved it the first, loved it the second time. But then, I can honestly say I've never read a Sarah Dessen book that I haven't loved.

I read it in part because I've been doing writing sprints, where I write as fast as I can,. I am writing faster, but lately I fell that my sentences have all the grace and poetry of a can of soup label. So, I pulled The Truth About Forever off the shelves, because I really admire Sarah Dessen's pretty sentences. They're poetic, descriptive and yet never feel self indulgent or excessive.

And I love her characters. Monotone Monica...doneven..., end of the world Bert, slap-dash Delia, too perfect Jason, and of course Macy and Will.

Here are a few of my favorite sentences:

But that was the problem with having answers. It was only after you gave them that you realize they sometimes weren't what people wanted to hear.

There was a crackling energy in the air, as if everything was on a higher speed than normal.

It was like being on the other side of a frame and seeing the camera pull bak, showing me growing smaller, smaller smaller still until I was just a speck, a spot, gone.

Her best event was not, as we all thought, the 100 meters, but in fact flirting with the the boy's track team....She still liked to run, but didn't much see the point anymore if she didn't have someone chasing after her.

But I'd learned long ago not to be picky in farewells. They weren't guaranteed or promised. You were lucky, more than blessed, if you got a good-bye at all.


And my personal favorite: Anyone can be a Kristy.

No comments:

Post a Comment