Monday, December 26, 2016

2016 Wrap-up

You can read 2016's projections here 


2016

Published:
Witch Wishes
Menagerie
Blog book (nonfiction)
Little White Christmas Lie (novella)
Anywhere Else (short story)
Return to Cinder (short story)

Newsletter Subscription:
400 to nearly 10,000

Other:
Speaking at Ellen's school:
Valuable because:
I got the outline for Menagerie
I realized I could do it
It was enjoyable
(Would I do it again? Definitely. In fact, I should try to line this up.)

The ANWA writers' retreat
Valuable because:
I met a lot of nice people
I wrote 15k words over a three day period
(Would I do it again? I'm not sure. It seems like I could achieve the same results, minus the people, by going and writing at the condo.)

La Cuesta Writer's Conference
Valuable because:
The classes I attended on marketing changed the way I saw things. I'm very glad I went, but I don't think I'll go again because of time and expense.



What I learned:
Christmas Lie was by far my most successful release. I contribute that to:
 My newsletter.
A clever subject line for my newsletter
A hungry market
Making a list
Asking for reviews before release

Going forward:
Ask for reviews before publishing a book
Book new release ads
Have the book in KU so I can book freebie days in conjunction with ads

2017:
Get reviews for Cowboy and Pirate so I can get prime ads (bookbub)
Have six books bookbub worthy so I can (try to) have a bookbub every month
1. Beyond
2. Hollow
3. Pale
4. Beyond Box set
5. Highwayman
6. Cowboy (needs 15)
7. Pirate (needs 18)
8. Witching Well box set
9. Menagerie (needs 9)
10. Christmas Lie (next October)
 (Currently, I have two books that have been accepted for bookbub)

Run KU promotion days based on when I get the advertising spots with:
Bookbarbarian
ENT
Robin Reads

Write:
Melee, third book in Menagerie series
The Winthrop series
Publish:
The Edit

Promote for one hour a day and keep detailed notes

Submit books to PNWA contest (February)

Read all of Susanna Kearsley's books and try to be like her (but wittier.)

Contact six friends about speaking at their schools.



2 comments:

  1. Excellent, Kristy! This is a keeper. I'm still working on my assessments, but my 2017 business plan is complete. The conference and retreat sound terrific. Congratulations on your successes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle. Really, you are an inspiration when it comes to keeping detailed notes on productivity.

    ReplyDelete