Monday, February 5, 2018

The Upside of Falling Down--a book review



In the end, I really loved this book, BUT mid-way I almost put it down. I thought it was so ridiculous that she was about to leave, about to return to her dad (which she should have done, it was incredibly selfish of her to keep her dad waiting and worrying) Kieron shows up and she decides to go surfing! Now remember, it had been raining, and one of the reasons that she got in his car was because it was rainy and cold. But then they go to the beach, surf, and afterwards there are people there looking sunburned after their day in the sun. (REMEMBER, it had been raining!) Nit-picks aside, the ending threw me--in a good way--it made sense of Kieron's behavior. But I still think they both should have told the dad. It would have made sense if she hated the dad, or blamed him in some way, even if she didn't remember it--she would have had a visceral reaction when she saw him.
And now I want to go to Ireland....

Here are a few of my favorite lines:

Waiting for my dad is like waiting for the future and the past all at the same time.

What's the point of cheating death if a life doesn't exist when you wake up?

My mind rolls and turns and doesn't seem to lead me anywhere. I'll the wind do the moving and spinning for now, instead of me.

He examines his half-eaten container. "You can't be afraid of what's inside. And it tastes good. That's a life lesson."
"What?"
"If something tastes good, don't ask what it's made of. You might be disappointed."

"If there's one thing I've learned from Jane Austen," Clive says, "it's that if we tell the truth all the time, there would be no stories worth telling."

The feeling like no matter what I do, I'm going to fall. Something will toss me over the edge. Instead of letting that happen, I make the decision myself. I get to decide when to jump.

Because that's how memories work. They come back to you, knock you down, and beg you to surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment